"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Music Tuesday: "Big River" by Johnny Cash

Jan at Runs With Angels...Lives With Saints! has a series of posts on her reading of a funny Mark Twain novel, The Diaries of Adam and Eve: Translated by Mark Twain.  I haven't read that one, and it's tempting me to stick it into my upcoming lists.  But as it turns out, on my current list is a Mark Twain book, and Jan has made me antsy to start it up.  My upcoming read, once I finally complete Dante's Purgatorio, is Mark Twain's Life On the Mississippi

So to get ready for Life on the Mississippi, how about Johnny Cash's "Big River" for this week's Music Tuesday selection.  Isn't Johnny Cash about as cool a singer as can be.  Not only is he a fine singer, but he projects so much personality.  He's got the personality you just wish he was your next door neighbor.  The Mississippi River is the heart of America, and I would say Johnny is too.

I'll post a clip with a remix section that adds about half a minute from the original version.  I really like what they did with the remix.





Now I taught the weeping willow how to cry
And I showed the clouds how to cover up a clear blue sky
And the tears that I cried for that woman are gonna flood you Big River
Then I'm gonna sit right here until I die
 
I met her accidentally in St. Paul, Minnesota
And it tore me up every time I heard her drawl, Southern drawl
Then I heard my dream was back downstream Cavortin' in Davenport
And I followed you, Big River, when you called
 
Then you took me to St. Louis later on down the river
A freighter said she's been here but she's gone, boy, she's gone
I found her trail in Memphis but she just walked up the block
Raised a few eyebrows and then she went on down alone
 
Now, won't you batter down by Baton Rouge, River Queen, roll it on
Take that woman on down to New Orleans, New Orleans
Go on, I've had enough, dump my blues down in the gulf
She loves you, Big River, more than me
 
Now I taught the weeping willow how to cry
And I showed the clouds how to cover up a clear blue sky
And the tears that I cried for that woman are gonna flood you Big River
Then I'm gonna sit right here until I die
 
Songwriters
CASH, JOHNNY R.

Lyrics credit to: Johnny Cash - Big River Lyrics | MetroLyrics

5 comments:

  1. I truly love Johnny Cash. Not only his voice, but that he was a very real, imperfect Christian, working out his faith day by day. Just like all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Now I taught the weeping willow how to cry
    And I showed the clouds how to cover up a clear blue sky
    And the tears that I cried for that woman are gonna flood you Big River
    Then I'm gonna sit right here until I die)))

    And I thought that sinner vic had big dreams.


    Thanks for the words Manny and by the way, Johnny Cash is one of our oldest granddaughter's favorite singer. Her dad always did a great job of backing her up while she sang "Folsom Prison Blues" but now she's got an angel in the oven so they don't get as much time to perform.

    I hear YA! What! What! What? You're going to be a great grand father again? :)

    God Bless his soul! A true down to earth "MAN"!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Johnny Cash! I've always loved him. Actually, I always had a "thing" for older men when I was young- we're talking preteen and young teen- like Jack Klugman, Peter Graves, Dan Blocker:) and the like. Probably because of the tv shows my mom used to like. Anyway, here's a bit of trivia. I was born in Davenport but I never cavorted there!

    Thanks for the plug. Glad to see the book is interesting to someone besides me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all.

    @Victor - You're a great grandfather?? Wow. I think I told you that when I first came across you online I guessed you were a young man, possibly even a teen...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long story short Manny, I guess I'm just a young wiper snapper at heart! :)

    Thanks for the kind words! If I can continue to convince our grandchildren of that until I meet Our Lord then everything should be find. The angel I married makes it very easy for me to fool them! (lol)

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete