"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Monday, April 14, 2014

Christ's Entry into Jerusalem by Felix Louis Leullier

I haven’t posted much art recently.  Here’s a beautiful work by a 19th century French, Romantic artist, Félix Louis Leullier.  For Palm Sunday and the beginning of Holy Week. 

 


 

Isn’t that a wonderful work?  I love the circles in the painting: the one in the clouds suggesting God looking down, the circle of people suggesting homage, the circular aura around Christ, the two halos, and the circles formed by the palms and trees.  I assume the woman on the right in blue and with the halo is His Blessed Mother. 

Hope you all had a wonderful Palm Sunday.  It was beautiful here.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the beautiful picture Manny! It is so true when they say that a picture has a thousand words.

    I hear YA! In your case Victor, "IT" probably has a million words! :)

    WHAT! WHAT! WHAT? (lol)

    Have a wonderful Palm Sunday also Manny and make sure that Matthew doesn't eat too many chocolate Easter Eggs.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. Is it a very large work? It looks like it would be. I can't see the Blessed Mother's halo. Just my eyes. I love that there is so much sky shown, and how the figure of Jesus is small. It just emphasizes, to me, how overwhelming the circumstances would soon be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's a large work. I can't find anything on its actual dimensions. The only thing I could find is that it's an oil on canvas and it resides at the Musee des Beaux-Arts, Arras, France. You're right, the sky is emphasized with the height going upwards. There's all that space above Christ.

      Delete