"Love follows knowledge."
"Beauty above all beauty!"
– St. Catherine of Siena

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Music Tuesday: In Memoriam, Fats Domino

Other than his big hits, I really don’t know much about Fats Domino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fats_Domino or his music.  It’s a bit before my time.  By all accounts he was a nice sort of man who played wholesome music, but most of the music of the 1950s was wholesome.  As you may know, he passed away last week at the age of 89. 


Here’s a little bio clip on his passing.




I really should learn more about him because I love boogie-woogie music.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie-woogie  Rock and roll is a direct heir to Boogie-woogie, which sports a hard-driving, rhythmic piano motif.  Here’s a sample from Fats.  Notice the piano rhythm in “Ain’t That a Shame.”





Here’s one of my favorites, “I’m Walking.”





And this wonderful wholesome classic, “My Girl, Josephine.”



I’m going to guess that Fats really was a decent man, unlike most rock and Roll musicians.  The wholesome songs really reflect his kind soul.  He was married to the same woman, Rosemary, for 60 years until she preceded him in passing, and they had eight children together.  I don’t know if he was a practicing Christian, but his life and music suggests at least some walk with faith.  Here is a charming song he wrote for his wife, ostensibly after being on the road for a while.






I love that sax introduction.  Feels like one’s been on the road for a while.

Perhaps his most artistic song might be this jazzy creole song, “Jambalaya.”




And finally his biggest hit, the one he’s most known for, “Blueberry Hill.” 





What a great tune.  Eternal rest onto you Fats, and thank you for your work here on earth.


1 comment: